Sunday 1 September 2013

They say when one door closes, another opens.  I have long neglected my desire to devote more time and attention to my quilting and now, a door of opportunity has opened and I'm jumping through full on ahead!

I doubt you will ever hear a quilter say,  "I don't need any more quilts".  Personally, I don't think one can ever have enough. There are quilts that I've made all around the house. They're on every bed, for an extra snugly layer of warmth, on sofa's for when there's a chill in the air, or for when the kids need a barrier between themselves and the cat's claws whenever the cats decide to snuggle and there are always some in the linen closet, ready for guests, or for when Sarah needs extra walls for a fort that she's building.  We take them on our travels because it's just nice to have a comforting piece of home when we're out in the world.  I always seem to have a few WIP's(works in progress), and recently, just completed one as a wedding gift for a beloved niece and her terrific new husband.

Up until a few years ago, I used to struggle to machine quilt using my awesome but very short-throated Kenmore machine.  Trying to free motion quilt with a Queen or King laid out on my dining table was nearly impossible at times, but we quilters can be a determined bunch, so they got done. I was blessed with the opportunity to invest in a Husqvarna Long Arm Quilter and Frame and I almost wept when I discovered I could finish a simple quilt in hours rather than the weeks it took with my Kenmore.  With the addition of the laser pointer for border work and cruise stitch control, I was in heaven!

Just when I had planned to devote serious time and effort into my quilting, not only for myself, but wanted to turn it into a business,  life, as it always does,  threw me a few curve balls and those plans got shelved.  I thought about re-visiting those plans a few times over the past few years but being a single mom with two wonderful daughters, a mortgage and about 2 minutes of spare time each day, those thoughts quickly faded.  Now, I'm able to come back at this door of opportunity again, and I'm ready.

One of the true gifts of life is to be able to do what you love.  For me, taking an idea, a design, a pile of fabrics and turning it all into something soft, useful, beautiful or comforting and warm, is Nirvana, it really is! Now, all those little ideas that have been kicking around in my head for the past few years can finally make it out into the light of day. 

Here, I will begin my adventure and see where it takes me. I'll share my projects and ideas with you, completed or in progress.















No comments:

Post a Comment